Friday, April 1, 2011

Sista Time

Well, I got some much needed "Sista" time today. It's been a while since we've taken the time to get together. This was one of those unplanned get-togethers, and we were minus one sista. First, I went to #3 sister, JJ's, to go with her to find a lamp for her desk. Remember...lamp. While I was on my way to JJ's, #2 sister, JR (who I fondly refer to as the dominant mare...every herd has one--teehee) called JJ and, well, the trip north ended up being a trip south, and the hunt for the lamp turned into first a stroll through Mama's yard looking at all the flowers she planted and treasured for so many years. Then on to fine dining at the local Mexican restaurant, a trip to a nursery to get some yellow jasmine plants (they have a name, but I can't remember what they are now), some shallots, and then a drive down memory lane off South Third Street where we lived when we were kids. (Shhhh, JR doesn't want her son to know we actually went to that part of town--you know a part of town the police avoid...yeah.) It's just not the same neighborhood it was back in the day -- but that sort of thing really doesn't deter the Sistas when we want to go somewhere.


As it turns out our old home wasn't there anymore and the gi-normous yard somehow shrunk. At least it's a lot smaller than I remembered it being when I was four years old. How does that happen, anyway? Time not only heals all wounds, but it shrinks all yards and houses, too. No. Really.


Some fond memories were resurrected, like my older sibs in a fight with a can of whipped cream, watching them play ping-pong at our dining room table, clover necklaces and catching lightning bugs (fireflies to you non-southerners.) Oh, and how we would get our feet wet with dew and walk around after Daddy had cut the grass and get "grass shoes" -- good times. Oh, and I'll never forget the time when JJ beat the tar out of our cousin, Billy, one time when she got totally fed up with his bullying. Kind of an Annie Oakley moment for JJ. Way to go, girl! Oh, great, now I have "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" stuck in my head. Hehe, you do too, huh? Well, you're welcome. :D


Well, when we found our way back to D-County, we finally went shopping for the lamp -- remember the day started out as an outing to find JJ a desk lamp. Well, I found a salad spinner to replace my broken one, and JJ found some really pretty pictures for her bathroom. We did a lot of looking and wishing and walking and walking and walking. I decided I probably need to just register at Bed, Bath and Beyond so Hero can do one-stop shopping for Christmas and birthdays and anniversaries for me. I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place. I want everything I see. Well, almost. But you get the picture.


It was a good day. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to have #1 sister with us. And my daughters.  But that's the problem with the impromptu get-togethers. We're just all too far apart. We need not to be so far apart. We need to get together more. 
Life is good.


Oh, remember the lamp? We never got a lamp. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment